Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter - few Polish traditions

I just wanted wish everyone a Happy and Blessed Easter! Or as we say it in polish "Wesołych Świąt Wielkanocnych" let the rebirth of Our Lord Jesus Christ gives you strength and faith in all that you do.

What are your Easter traditions - here is some of our polish traditions - for us it's all about "pisanki" (the colourful eggs), the blessing of the food that we take to the church, and the big breakfast that we have on Sunday made up of the food we took to the church to be blessed on Saturday.
I have to say that the egg decorations that takes place in my house with my daughter now is nothing when comparing to egg decorating when I was a child.
Now I buy the decorated shrink wrap sleeves I put over the egg and we dunk them in really hot water - and done.
When I was a kid and I was a kid in a old country we had to improvise to get our eggs certain colour - food colouring or other dyes were not available so to have the egg pinkish colour we boiled the egg with slices of beets, to have them orange/brown colour we boiled them with the outer layer of onion and for greenish colour we boiled the eggs with wheat grass.
After that was done we took a very sharp tool and here I'm talking about a razor, thick needle, wall nail, etc. and scraped designs into it. Best thing ever - I have to try this again when my daughter is older.
Each region in Poland has a different way of decorating their "pisanki" if you want to read more about that here is few links
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/polisheaster/ss/How-To-Make-Polish-Pisanki-Easter-Eggs-For-Beginners.htm
http://oururbantimes.com/events/traditional-pisanki-egg-decorating-lecture-and-workshop-part-pre-easter-activities-polish-mus

Then on Saturday before the Easter Sunday we take basic foods like bread, eggs, ham, sausage, salt to the church in beautifully decorated baskets to be blessed so we can have a big feast on Sunday morning to mark the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Now for my daughter I also add the Saturday morning, Easter Egg hunt in the backyard so the mixing of traditions is quite a normal occurrence for Polish people living around the world.

The cooking the baking is insane in a typical polish household, even though all the foods are easily available in all polish stores such as EouroMax here in Milton, Ontario, I still cook "żur" or as some call it white borsch or sour soup or bake my own "babka"


this picture is not mine because my Easter cooking did not come out right this year due to a certain accident, Which is a different post altogether.

But here is a picture of my Easter baskets we too to the church





Happy Easter everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...